Saturday, April 9, 2011

Review: FlyFF (Fly For Fun)

Hey all, Little Miss Squish here again. I've decided to post on Saturdays to give me more time to play the games each week and to give a better review. Hope you guys don't mind! :p Anyway, when trying to decide what to review this week, I thought about different games. I wasn't really drawn to anything in particular so I pulled out my list of MMOs that I've played and saw FlyFF on the list. I hadn't played it in a very long time and thought, "What the hell, I'll review it!" I don't know why I do that because every time I do, I usually end up hating the game that I say that about. And FlyFF was no exception.




Game Basics:
Title: Fly For Fun (FlyFF)
Publisher: gPotato
Genre: Fantasy Adventure MMORPG
Website: http://flyff.gpotato.com/
Cost: Free-to-play, pay for extra features

Ratings:
Graphics: 2/5
Character Customization: 1/5
Beginning/Tutorial: 2/3
Class Skills, Character Development, etc.: 3/5
Story, Quests, Content: 2/5
Level I Ragequit At: 15

The graphics are okay in this game, since they tend to be really hit-or-miss. They can look really neat sometimes:

And other times, not so much (Note the flat tree branches and leaves):

(Also, don't ask me what those things are because I don't know and don't think I really want to know why racoon plushies have swords.)

The character selection BLOWS. You don't have any races to choose from but can choose to be either male or female. There are a tiny amount of face, hairstyle and hair color options to choose from and you cannot choose all hair colors with all hairstyles. The game does offer an cosmetics option in-game, but it's INCREDIBLY expensive. I'm talking in the high hundred thousand's or the millions. I'm sorry, but I don't think I'll ever have that much money in my inventory to spend on hair and makeup options.

You start out in the novice class, a "vagrant" and you can get your first job promotion at level 15. It was weird to me that they didn't have it at level 10 like most other games that have the newbie class, but I just shrugged and grit my teeth for another few levels. There are four classes to choose from: the long-range melee Acrobats, the short-range melee Mercenary, the magic class...er, Magicians, and the support class, Assists. "Assist"? Really? You couldn't think of a more original name than an "Assist" class? You might as well call 'em supporters or something as equally dull and boring. Really, aside from Acrobats, none of the classes are particularly original, which is how most of this game seems. It's like painting a once-yellow wall a slightly more orange shade of yellow and saying "ooooh, see! It's shiny and new!" Please.

Now, in defense of the game, the classes have a second and third tier of job classes where the classes get even MORE unoriginal. Do they honestly think they're fooling anyone? It's like they didn't even try to create something original with the class system, they just took the basic classes, renamed them and spread their skills out into different tiers, and then slapped a "BRAND NEW!" sticker on it and expected everyone to go for it. Sure, the names of the new classes, like a Ringmaster or Jester or Psykeeper SOUND cool, but they boil down to the same components that other games have for similar classes. It's not nearly as impressive as it could be.

And, sadly, that's what I find that this game essentially is. It makes itself sound so great and wonderful but once you play it, you bash your head on the keys and wonder why you decided to play it in the first place. It, as 100 ProofCat said (and who's blog you should TOTALLY check out! ;D), is "lackluster." The quests are repetitive and uninteresting. For example, when you start your job transfer quest, your first task is to kill ten monsters. Oh, they must be ferocious and horrible, right? Wrong. They're the level 1 spores of crap that keel over if you so much as look at them funny. SERIOUSLY, game?! Don't make me slaughter 10 little innocent newbie fodders to the cause of my job transfer. Send me out to kill something around my level or at least, oh, I don't know, A LITTLE MORE CHALLENGING. The other two or three quests they had you do weren't any harder, either, except you had to go fight level 2 or level 3 monsters now. Oh, I'm SO WORTHY OF GETTING A JOB PROMOTION AFTER STEPPING ON LITTLE PIECES OF WET TISSUE PAPER.

To be honest, I'd post more about the game, but I ragequit at level 15 after completing the class transfer. I was just too bored and unmotivated to continue playing it. It's just not worth playing. It had potential to be great but just fell flat on its face while running to get there. Like I said, I played this years ago and when I came back, it was literally the EXACT SAME as it was back then. My overall judgement? It's kinda pretty to look at but it's basically the same game you'd find just not interesting or worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment