Thursday, May 30, 2013

Review: Dungeon Rampage

Good god, it's been, like, forever since I've posted. I've actually been quite busy lately with life so my gaming and consequent reviewing hasn't been a top priority of mine.

I got, approximately a month ago, turtles! Three of them, actually, all super teeny. One map turtle, one yellow belly slider, and one painted turtle. I don't know how old they are, but I can assure you, they're all smaller than the palm of my hand. I named them Soldier, Spy, and Scout (from left to right in the picture) after the TF2 characters. They are all really adorable and tons of fun to watch!
 

Unfortunately, Soldier died last night due illness. He fought for two weeks but he wasn't eating and he was too small for the vet to give any medicines to (Yes, I did bring him in. He weighed a whopping 10 grams.) so we basically played a waiting game. We did all that we could for the little guy but, unfortunately, it just wasn't enough. I had really hoped he was starting to turn around since he had gained a lot of energy the past few days but sadly, he didn't. We buried him in the front yard. I'll eventually get a third turtle but I'm waiting out of respect for the little guy.

I've also been playing a lot of L4D2 and TF2 (it's actually consumed most of my evenings...) on top of some other work I've taken on the side. So I haven't been doing much in the way of MMOs. But I have been able to play some here and there. I played a little of Dungeon Rampage at the request of a reader (Thank you for the suggestion, by the way!) and I've been playing Ragnarok Online 2 since it became available on Steam. But I do have some thoughts on Dungeon Rampage so I decided that I probably should post a review on it at some point, because I'd been neglecting to do so for quite a while, now.

So, ON WITH THE REVIEW! :D

 
I honestly, at first, wasn't really keen on the game. I've been really hard pressed to find a game on Facebook that I actually like and doesn't require me to have friends who also play the game in order to be able to play it. For those of you who don't know, Dungeon Rampage is a browser-based, multi-player game found on Facebook and Kongregate. I'm not sure if it's technically considered a "MMO," but that's debatable, I guess. When I sat and looked at Dungeon Rampage, it immediately looked like a dungeon crawler to me. Basically, you start out as a standard... barbarian? of sorts, go through some Roman-esque arena, and fight for your survival. People on the sides of the arena cheer you on, you fight skeletons, soldiers, lions, and other baddies, and, of course, the levels get harder as you get further. Some levels (the tutorial and first level, I think) you can play by yourself, the other levels allow random players to join you in your enemy-slaying quest.
from http://www.insidesocialgames.com
from http://webgameshelp.com
There are options to get other characters, of course, who do different attacks and use different equipment, but they are all absurdly expensive, in my opinion. Personally, I'd rather be able to customize my character as I like and determine what weapons and skills I would use instead of having cookie-cutter molds made for me. I'm also not thrilled that the aesthetics are all predetermined--I at least would have liked to have different gender options--but I can live with that. You can customize your character with different stats when you level up, such as attack speed, health, and other things, which is cool. Better than nothing, right?

The controls to use skills are a little annoying to me. I constantly find myself accidentally using skills I didn't want to use and when I do want to use them, I can't. It's more of a nitpick than anything else because I could probably get over that really easily. But at the same time, I wish that you could change how the controls work because I'd love to program different skills to different keys. But it's not really a necessity.

I don't really have much to say about this game, to be honest. I'm sure people love it and it's not entirely a bad game. While I like doing dungeons in MMOs and have played some fun dungeon crawlers, I just got bored with Dungeon Rampage. It just... Didn't do anything for me. I easily forgot this game and was only going through my Facebook apps for some clean up. I saw the app and was like "Oh, yeah! I remember this..." It just wasn't a game that I particularly enjoyed. I didn't hate it by any means, but I'm finding it hard to say anything in particular about the game.

from dungeonrampagehacks.wordpress.com (lol)
I'm not really one to swing an axe or anything like that and go charging into battle in MMOs (though, strangely, I'm the type to use melee weapons in L4D2...). I prefer to use magic and, to be honest, I don't recall any magic casters in the game (There might be one waaaaay late in the game that you can obtain but I'm not positive). I think that's really my only complaint about the game and it's not really even a complaint so much as an observation. I think the only "complaint" I have is that you have to pay real money for some characters, just because I don't think it's fair that you can out-own people by paying real money for something.

I can't really comment on this game in the same way I do other games because there are no healing classes/characters that I'm aware of and there's not much to say about it. The art style is nice, reminding me a little of Castle Crashers, the game is simple and easy to pick up, I like that the game partners you up with other players when you go into a dungeon level. But... That's really about it. It just didn't leave much of an impression on me, so there's not much more to say.

So, that's about it! Have any questions, comments, etc.? Want to suggest games for me to play or review? Feel free to leave a comment below, on FB or Twitter, or email me. :) I like hearin' from y'all! I'll hopefully be posting more frequently again. I'll at least be reviewing Ragnarok Online 2 and I have a few other requests for some other games to try out.

No comments:

Post a Comment