Thursday, December 23, 2010

MMOHut: A Directory of Awesomeness

MMOhut.com ( http://www.mmohut.com/ ) is, by far, one of the best MMO directory sites I have seen. Hands down. End of story. It has a lot of information that many others don't. Simply put: it's a directory of awesomeness.
Overall Magical Brownie Rating: 5/3 (yes, it's THAT awesome!)



This site allows visitors to browse MMOs by category, such as 2D or 3D graphics, genre (racing, fantasy, etc.), and others. It also will give a screenshot of the in-game graphics (which is a major plus for those who find graphics to be a factor in their MMO choices) and basic info on the game, such as its publisher, client size, graphics quality, pvp information, and playerbase. It also provides some of the game's pros and cons in concise bullets, which are really useful.

The biggest addition to MMOHut's listings are its reviews--you can get a brief overview type of review and you can also get a "full review", which goes into many nooks and crannies of the game. That's right, it friggin' reviews the games it lists! I know that might not sound impressive, but many of the MMO toplists and directories don't review their games. Some don't give pictures or overviews of their games. To get a full review that often spans multiple pages, complete with in-game screenshots is very refreshing, to say the least. Because most sites will list MMO X as a great game, give it high ratings and all. I'll look, say to myself, "hey! This doesn't look too bad. I'll go try it out!" only to discover that the game is a complete waste of time. MMOHut definitely scores major brownie points with me in that department, 'cause their reviews ultimately allow me to decide if I want to download the game or even just go to the official website for more information. The reviews are done by members of the site who are often serious, dedicated players. Very well-written (sometimes hilarious), the reviews can even be more informative than the official website! (which, on a side note, I find rather strange but amusing at the same time.)

MMOHut's website also has other features, such as forums, the latest game news, videos, game previews, and their own mini-top list ("recommended games") in each category. The one downside that I have is that many of the game categories are so broad or so simple that many of the games overlap. I know that, yes, a game can be at once both an MMORPG, a 3D game, and a fantasy game. But that's three lists and that one MMO X could appear on all three. While it's not that big of a deal, it's more of a minor inconvenience. Also, I don't know how they arrange their lists (by game title, by rating, etc.) but that, too, is more of a minor annoyance and not a major problem for me.

Overall, MMOHut is one of the top MMO directories that I've seen. This is one of the first sites I will go to when looking for a new game.

No comments:

Post a Comment